Mueang Pathum Thani is the capital district (amphoe mueang) of Pathum Thani Province, central Thailand. In the past, the district was called Bang Kadi District after the name of central tambon, as required by the Law of 1897. The district office was on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River. The office was moved to Tambon Parok, on the west bank of the river, in 1917. On 25 June 1938 the interior ministry changed the name of the district to "Mueang Pathum Thani District" in keeping with a decree of Rama VIII.